Sunday, June 27, 2010

I'm Sick of Watching

I'm Sick of Watching - 26 (Seoul)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2010-06-27, 7:58PM KST
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, it's come to this, and why shouldn't it? After all, I haven't been the most sociable person these last several eons. I guess I'm just tired, tired of watching other people laugh and love and live together in happiness as I spy them enviously from my lonely perch in the swirling ether. That guy at the party who stands in the corner refusing to talk to anyone? That's me. The man who always seems to be lurking on the edges of a conversation fighting for the boldness to break into it? Yo, right here. I'm a Watcher, and frankly it's all getting pretty old.

I'm sick of just watching. Why do I just have to watch anyways? Just once I'd like to use my infinite wisdom and inexhaustible power to, you know, DO something. Would it really make that much of a difference if I taught those crab-monsters on Torta to build levies so their egg-pools would stop getting flooded? From the episode of my birth the moment before the cosmos bloomed into existence (that I may have observed and recorded the event) I've always been bound to this title of "Watcher" - though, I must admit, lately I'm starting to question this whole "eternity as silent observer" path that the elder powers determined for me. For one, it's dull. When you've seen one galaxy collapse into the fiendish maw of terrible Bet-Sabbot you've seen em' all, yet every time the great eye of the sun-drinker sets its sights on a newly-doomed world there I am, floating off to the side with my clipboard and sharpie pen like I'm goddamn Jane Goodall. You know what I'd like to watch(as if anyone ever bothers to ask me)? An episode of Grey's Anatomy, or maybe the sunset with a bottle of Merlot and a good cheese spread.

What's that, a solar flare in a far-away galaxy has rapidly mutated a form of intelligent life into an omniscient entity of pure benevolence? Guess I'm missing this week's episode of Lost again. What, that show ended months ago? Fuck. I really need to get Tivo.

So, I guess it's time to quit. After all, I doubt the elder powers can destroy me, he who was the first and will be the last. It's not like a Watcher is even that necessary. I mean, stuff will keep happening whether I'm there to observe it or not. Let someone else be Watcher for awhile. I'm still young, this reality (spoiler alert!) still has a few billion years left in it, and its time to start living! It's time to stop watching, and start doing! There's a laser tag place down the street from my apartment, and I've always wanted to take a pottery class. Any ladies out there want to help a Watcher become a DOer?

Location: Seoul
PostingID: 1813335494

No comments: